MICHIGAN PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYERS
Tips for Avoiding Michigan Pedestrian Accidents & Injuries
Pedestrian fatalities in Michigan increased 15% from 148 in 2014 to 170 in 2015. In addition, serious injuries for pedestrians increased 8% from 381 to 412. Overall, 2,482 pedestrians were involved in a traffic-related accident in 2015.
To help pedestrians be safe, The Mike Morse Law Firm has compiled a list of helpful tips to avoid pedestrian accidents and injury:
Know Where to Cross
- Intersections with pedestrian crossing signals provide the safest opportunity for crossing. Pedestrians are always more visible to traffic in designated crosswalks.
- Mid-block crossings usually have special pavement markings, signs, and/or pedestrian signals to alert motorists to be aware of pedestrian traffic.
Pedestrian Crosswalk Signals
- Push the button to alert the traffic signal that you are waiting to cross.
- Wait your turn to cross. Both vehicles and pedestrians must wait their turn to cross.
- Once the crosswalk signal indicates it is your turn to cross, check to be sure vehicles have stopped. Only then you may safely cross the road. Stay within the crosswalk and move along steadily. Most crossing signals provide a countdown timer to show how much time is remaining for the crossing signal.
Additional Michigan Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Avoid roads and interstates where pedestrians are restricted or prohibited.
- Walk on the sidewalk or path when one is available.
- If no sidewalk of path is available, walk on the shoulder of the road, facing traffic.
- Stay alert. Don’t be distracted by electronic devices or other items that take your attention away from the road.
- Never assume a driver can see you. Always make eye contact with drivers as they approach.
- Only cross streets at crosswalks or intersections where possible.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, cross at a well-lit area and wait for a gap in traffic that allows you plenty of time to cross safely.
- Be visible. Wear bright or reflective clothing, especially at night. Carry a flashlight.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs that impair your judgment and coordination.
Follow this link for more on Michigan’s Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) initiative.
Follow this link for the Michigan Department of Transportation site on Safety.
Contact Our Michigan Pedestrian Accident Lawyers For Help
Our Clients Say It Best
“This firm’s professionalism far exceeds the normal verbal and written communications expected from a law office. They could not have done a better job with the matters concerning my case and I would highly recommend them.”
“When the attorneys at The Mike Morse Law Firm represented me, we were not just a number, we were family. They really cared about what I was going through. I could not have asked for better people to work on my case.”
“I think very highly of Mr. Morse’s office and would recommend them to anyone. It starts with the great feeling you get when you come to the office for the very first time and it has continued with the excellent customer service they always provided. I don’t even need to ask questions because the attorneys and paralegals are so on top of their jobs. They have always been there for me. I have a warm and friendly feeling anytime I stop in. It feels like home.”
“My experience with The Mike Morse Law Firm has been excellent. Everyone there is so professional and friendly. Whenever I have a question, I get answers right away. This is a great law firm.”
“I have had a wonderful experience working with The Mike Morse Law Firm. They did a great job getting the money I was entitled to! I really appreciated everything their legal staff did to help me.”
“It was a pleasure working with the paralegal that helped me with my case. I didn’t know what to do. Until I started working with The Mike Morse Law Firm, I felt lost trying to handle my claim. Mike Morse helped me get all benefits that I was entitled to.”
“I’ve had great service from the entire staff at The Mike Morse Law Firm. I have their phone number memorized and have recommended them to anyone I know who has been in an accident.”
“It’s easy to describe The Mike Morse Law Firm…friendly, caring, and they get the job done.”
“28 years after my accident I received a letter from The Mike Morse Law Firm with an information brochure. I’m so glad I kept that letter because later on when AAA wrongly suspended my no-fault benefits, I immediately contacted Mike. Mr. Morse took my case and did everything he said he would do. Now, more than 28 years after my accident, AAA is paying like they should be, and it’s all because of Mr. Morse’s hard work and expertise.”
“From the receptionist, Jami, to the paralegals, secretaries and attorneys everyone at The Mike Morse Law Firm. is wonderful! I would recommend Mike Morse and his team to anyone.”
“Attorney Mike Morse has a great team of people. I have nothing but good things to say and would refer them to anyone. I pass out their business cards every chance I get.”