Lansing, MI Car Accident Lawyers
The City of Lansing has been voted as one of the best places to live in the State of Michigan. While the city’s affordable housing, low crime rates, and other perks give it many reasons to boast, it does share one common problem with neighboring cities – heavy traffic. Heavy traffic can be frustrating and means a higher frequency of car accidents. Some Lansing auto accidents are minor, but others leave victims with serious injuries.
Driving a car may be one of the most dangerous things that we do on any given day. Sadly, regardless of how careful of a driver you may be, you can still become a victim of another driver’s reckless or negligent actions. Auto accident victims are often left with not only physical but emotional scars. A Lansing car accident lawyer can ensure that you are not only compensated for your medical bills, but for your pain and suffering as well.
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a car accident in Lansing, MI, you need a personal injury lawyer on your side who you can trust. Mike Morse Law Firm has proudly been serving the residents of Michigan for over 25 years. Our compassionate lawyers go the distance for their clients to win them the compensation they deserve. Call us at 855-MIKE-WINS or email us to schedule a free case consultation. You pay NO FEES until you win!
Why Hire An Attorney After a Lansing Car Accident
The attorneys at our law firm understand that after a car accident it is your goal to make a complete recovery both physically and financially. The best way for you to succeed in achieving that goal is by having a personal injury lawyer advocating for you, someone who is knowledgeable in MI state law.
Mike Morse Law Firm’s years of service speak for themselves. We are Michigan’s largest personal injury law firm and have won over $1 billion dollars for our clients. We can help you get what you deserve as well, no matter what pressure you may face.
After your Lansing car accident, the other party’s insurance company may try to pressure you into accepting a settlement that is far less than what your claim is actually worth. The car accident attorneys at our law firm know how to accurately calculate the value of your claim. We understand that you can’t put an exact dollar amount on your pain and suffering, but we can help you receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. With this financial burden off your shoulders, you can focus on what matters most, your recovery.
During your initial consultation, a compassionate member of our law firm will sit down and discuss the details of your case with you. Then, after taking on your claim, we will investigate the car accident, collect evidence, determine fault, and begin building a solid case for you. We will handle all negotiations with the insurance company.
Most cases can be settled out of court. However, our Lansing, MI, accident lawyers are prepared to take your case to trial in a court of law if and when necessary.
How to Protect Yourself After a Lansing Car Accident
The actions that you take immediately following your accident and in the days following can help preserve your physical and financial recovery. If you have been involved in a Lansing, MI, car accident, the following are some steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Take time to heal. After car accidents, victims are often in a hurry to get back to work and to their regular schedules. But when your body has just sustained trauma, pushing yourself to return to normal life before your body is ready can cause further injury.
- Don’t admit fault. After a Lansing car accident, you may feel impelled to apologize to the other driver, but a simple “I’m sorry” can be construed as an admission of guilt. Resist the inclination to apologize after an accident as it can later be used against you during negotiations with the insurance company or in a court of law.
- Don’t sign paperwork. If the police officer on the scene or your insurance company requires you to sign something, that may be okay. On the other hand, if the other driver’s insurance company approaches you with a settlement, don’t accept the offer until it has been reviewed by your Lansing car accident lawyer.
- Hire a Lansing personal injury attorney. The car accident lawyers at Mike Morse Law Firm will work hard to protect your interests, determine fault, and work diligently to secure the best possible settlement for your claim.
Common Injuries Sustained in Lansing, MI Car Accidents
The compassionate car accident lawyers at Mike Morse Law Firm have helped our clients receive financial compensation for many different types of injuries. We are knowledgeable in Michigan state law as well. Call us today at 855-MIKE-WINS to speak to one of our dedicated Lansing car accident lawyers.
As your attorneys, we will review your medical records, speak with you about the extent of your injuries, and determine what damages to pursue on your behalf.
The following are some of the most common types of injury suffered by victims of motor vehicle accidents in the State of Michigan:
- Fractures and broken bones: The impact of an auto accident often leads to broken arms, legs, wrists, and other bones. Some breaks require wearing a cast for a few weeks, while other breaks are more serious and may call for surgery.
- Concussion: The force from an auto accident can cause you to hit your head on the steering wheel, windshield, or other parts of the vehicle. After car accidents, victims often don’t immediately realize that they have a concussion. For this reason, it is important to seek medical attention even if you don’t initially believe you sustained an injury.
- Loss of limb: The loss of an arm or leg not only causes serious physical pain but emotional trauma as well. It alters a person’s entire life, and he or she may need a lifetime of physical therapy and other medical support to cope.
- Internal bleeding: Car accidents can force the body into the steering wheel or other object, or you could be hit by flying debris. This can cause damage to the delicate organs inside your body and cause them to bleed; internal bleeding must be treated promptly or you could lose your life.
- Facial disfigurement: Lansing car accidents can leave victims with severe facial injuries and scars. These could be caused by broken glass, impact against a hard surface, or burns. Facial injuries may require corrective surgery, and victims may be left with scars. These injuries can cause both physical and emotional pain and suffering.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): A brain injury can completely alter a person’s life. It may affect their ability to process information, their cognitive abilities, and their emotions. Treating a brain injury may be a lifelong process. TBI victims need to be sure they have a skilled Lansing auto accident attorney on their side to help them recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Lansing, MI
If you’ve ever been involved in a car accident, you are aware of how painful, stressful, and overwhelming it can be. The moments immediately following an auto accident can be especially disorienting and confusing, and the other driver may be claiming that you broke a traffic law and are at fault. However, even under such challenging circumstances, the actions you take following the accident can be very important.
After a Lansing car accident, it is beneficial to remember the following steps:
- 1. Try to remain calm. People’s emotions are typically running high after car accidents. Take a deep breath to try and calm yourself, and a moment to gather your thoughts.
- 2. Contact the authorities. Call 911 so the proper medical personnel and law enforcement agents will be dispatched to the Lansing auto accident scene. Even if there are minimal damages and injuries, it is still important to call 911. The officer on the scene should write up a report in accordance with the law; this record of exactly what happened can be essential to your case when filing your claim. Whether you feel that you or the other driver was at fault, make sure to call 911.
- 3. Check for injuries. Assess yourself for injuries, and check fellow passengers and others involved in the accident if you are able. Inform the 911 dispatcher of the extent of the injuries sustained.
- 4. Exchange names and information. Obtain the names, phone numbers, addresses, and insurance information of all parties involved in the Lansing car accident. But take care; if the other driver seems incapacitated, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or irate, ask the police officer to obtain the information for you.
- 5. Take photographs. Use the camera on your smartphone to document the accident scene. If you’re able to do so safely, take a wide shot of the entire scene. Photograph license plate numbers, injuries, vehicle damage, weather and road conditions, and anything else that could be used to determine fault.
- 6. Contact your insurance provider. Inform your Lansing, MI, insurance provider of the accident as soon as possible afterward.
- 7. Obtain non-emergency medical attention. Even if your injuries didn’t merit being transferred in an ambulance from the Lansing accident scene, you should still go to the doctor for a check-up after the accident. When injuries aren’t immediately apparent, it could take a couple of days for symptoms to manifest themselves.
- 8. Contact an accident attorney. After a collision, you can regain peace of mind by having an experienced Lansing car accident on your side. If you want a compassionate attorney who is knowledgeable in Michigan state law defending your legal rights, then contact Mike Morse Law Firm today. Call us at 855-MIKE-WINS or send us an email.
What Damages Can You Recover After a Lansing Car Accident?
The Lansing car accident lawyers at Mike Morse Law Firm understand that no amount of money can undo the auto accident, nor the injury and damage that it caused. However, financial compensation can get you the resources that you need to recover. Depending on the extent of injury you sustained in the car accident, your accident lawyer may seek compensation on your behalf for the following damages.
Your lawyer may seek reimbursement for all medical expenses incurred as a result of the Lansing auto accident. This may include ambulance rides, doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, radiology, prescriptions, and other medical expenses.
Car accidents may leave victims with injuries requiring physical therapy, a wheelchair, crutches, a cane, artificial limbs, or other rehabilitative devices. If you sustained an injury requiring rehabilitation, your lawyer may pursue compensation for both the rehabilitative equipment and services.
Due to the trauma the body suffers during a car accident, you may need weeks or even months to rest, heal, and recover. Your Lansing personal injury lawyer may seek compensation for wages lost while you are recovering from the car accident.
In some cases, victims of car accidents may suffer extreme injury that prevents them from ever being able to return to work. This is devastating not only to them but also to their families who perhaps relied on the victim’s income. Damages will then be pursued for loss of future wages.
If your car was damaged in the accident, your lawyer may seek damages for the cost of the repairs. If the car is beyond repair, you may be able to recover compensation for the replacement of your vehicle. If any personal items were damaged in the vehicle, such as a cell phone or laptop, you could also seek damages for the replacement of these items as well.
Pain and suffering
These damages are for the physical and emotional trauma caused by car accidents. Victims may experience physical pain that lasts for months during their recovery or for the rest of their lives. In addition, physical trauma from the accident may affect a person’s emotional health. Anxiety, depression, PTSD, and other psychological issues are common after severe car accidents.
These types of damages are rare in cases of Lansing car accidents but may be pursued if there was extreme recklessness displayed by the at-fault driver. In a court of law, punitive damages are awarded to punish a defendant for gross negligence. For example, a drunk driver may be ordered to pay punitive damages in an effort to deter future careless behavior.
Schedule Your Free Consultation Today
Should You Accept An Insurance Settlement After a Lansing Auto Accident?
Even if you feel that you are at fault for the accident, it is recommended not to accept an offer from an insurance company before first speaking to a Lansing car accident lawyer. Regardless of how friendly insurance adjusters may seem, remember that they are not your friends. Their job is to protect the interests of the insurance company that they represent by getting you to accept the lowest settlement amount possible.
The personal injury attorneys at our law firm understand that it can be difficult to refuse the first settlement that you are offered after your Lansing auto accident. Insurance adjusters know how to take advantage of this time immediately following motor vehicle accidents, when victims are faced with mounting medical bills. It can be tempting to take the quick settlement offer and have money for car repairs and other expenses. However, the money could run out before the expenses do. The initial settlement may not fully compensate you for all your medical bills, lost wages, or other damages.
The experienced car accident attorneys at Mike Morse Law Firm will know how to accurately calculate the value of your case. We may seek advice from medical doctors who are experts in treating your particular type of injury. Their prognosis in determining what ongoing care you will need in years to come will help us know how much to pursue in damages.
If you’re looking to maximize the financial amount you recover, look no further than Mike Morse Law Firm. We go the distance for our clients and work hard to pursue justice on their behalf. Remember, justice isn’t just about money – it’s about peace of mind. Call our law firm today at 855-MIKE-WINS to schedule a free consultation.
How is Fault Determined After Lansing Car Accidents?
After an auto accident fault is typically determined by identifying who was careless or negligent. After some accidents, it’s easy to recognize who was at fault and thus responsible for property damage and personal injury costs. However, in other accident cases, it is difficult to determine fault. Complicating matters, multiple entities may be involved.
Police officers will perform an investigation at the scene of the Lansing auto accident and prepare a report. They may speak to witnesses, interview drivers, and try to figure out who caused the accident. After completing their investigation, the submitted police report may include a determination of fault.
Insurance adjusters research the cause of the accident, speak to all parties involved, examine medical reports, and (in some cases) make a determination of fault at the end of their investigation. If multiple parties are involved in a Lansing, MI, auto accident, a degree of fault may be assigned to each one.
A court of law may determine fault by identifying whether the defendant was negligent. The court will take into consideration the statements and evidence presented by both parties’ accident attorneys. Then either a judge or a jury will rule who is at fault for the accident and what monetary compensation is due.
Call Us Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Lansing, MI, auto accident, you need a car accident lawyer on your side who you can trust. Our law firm has been proudly serving the residents of Michigan for over 25 years. Click here to read what our clients have to say about us.
Call us at 855-MIKE-WINS or email us to schedule a free initial consultation with a Lansing car accident lawyer today. Remember you pay NO FEES until we win a settlement for your case.
Our clients Say it the best
“This firm’s professionalism far exceeds the normal verbal and written communications expected from a law office. They could not have done a better job with the matters concerning my case and I would highly recommend them.”
“When the attorneys at the Mike Morse Law Firm represented me, we were not just a number, we were family. They really cared about what I was going through. I could not have asked for better people to work on my case.”
“I think very highly of Mr. Morse’s office and would recommend them to anyone. It starts with the great feeling you get when you come to the office for the very first time and it has continued with the excellent customer service they always provided . I don’t even need to ask questions because the attorneys and paralegals are so on top of their jobs. They have always been there for me. I have a warm and friendly feeling anytime I stop in. It feels like home.”