Michigan Car Accident Lawyer | Michigan Auto Accident

Auto Insurance Required Under Michigan Law

It is against the law for Michigan residents to drive a car or truck (or allow their vehicle to be driven by someone else) if that vehicle is not insured with a no-fault policy. Motorcycles do not require no-fault insurance, but they do require accident insurance.

Michigan is a No-Fault State

“No-fault” means that it doesn’t matter who caused the accident; no-fault insurance will pay for medical expenses, damage to other people’s property, wage-loss benefits, and/or replacement services. If you carry collision coverage, your policy should also cover repairs to your vehicle.

Public Liability and Property Damage (PLPD) Insurance

A “bare bones” Michigan no-fault policy is often referred to as PLPD ¬– Public Liability and Property Damage insurance. The terms of PLPD insurance coverage vary from state to state, but a commonality is that it is the minimum amount of insurance typically required to drive a vehicle, and it usually only refers to the most basic coverage required by the laws of that state; no collision, no comprehensive. This is sometimes referred to as the “20-40-10” requirement, because it typically covers $20,000 per person hurt or killed in an accident; $40,000 per accident in which more than one person is hurt or killed; and $10,000 per accident for property damages.

This type of insurance has three main parts:

  • Property Protection Insurance (PPI)
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
  • Residual Liability Insurance

Property Protection Insurance (PPI)

This type of insurance will help pay for damage your car does (in Michigan) to other people’s property, such as buildings and fences. It will also pay for damage your car does to another person’s properly parked vehicle.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

PIP pays for your medical costs, household services, attendant care, wage loss and medical mileage benefits if you are hurt in a car accident. In the case of a death as the result of an accident, it will pay survivors loss benefits.

Residual Liability Insurance for Bodily Injury and Property Damage

Michigan’s insurance laws prevent drivers from suing each other unless, for example:

  • the lawsuit (for damages caused to another vehicle) is for less than $500
  • the accident caused death, serious impairment or disfigurement
  • you are in an automobile accident in a different state
  • a driver in the accident is a non-Michigan resident whose vehicle is not insured in Michigan

It’s important to understand that PLPD insurance does not cover damage to your vehicle or property.

Who Can or Should Get PLPD?

To get PLPD automotive insurance, you must have possession of the vehicle title and be free of a lien. PLPD is best suited for individuals that don’t drive that frequently, or have an older or less-valued vehicle. People who are financing their vehicle or who want coverage for theft, vandalism, fire, or significant personal liability should consider other optional coverage such as collision, comprehensive, or mini-tort policies to protect your assets.

If you choose PLPD versus more comprehensive coverage, keep in mind that for a little more money you might be able to get significantly better coverage, which could make a difference in the event of a lawsuit.

When You Need a Michigan Accident Lawyer

If you believe you are entitled to compensation for injuries, mental anguish or other pain and suffering, contact The Mike Morse Law Firm toll-free at 855-MIKE-WINS (855-645-3946) or email us to arrange a free consultation. There are no fees until we win for you.

Our experience in dealing with insurance companies will help you get more money than you will be able to get on your own.

Statute of Limitations

Remember that local, state, and federal laws dictate a finite amount of time when claims may be filed. If you have been injured or have had property damaged due to a Michigan car accident, don’t wait to get help. Call 855-MIKE-WINS (855-645-3946) or email us now.